Monday, April 11, 2011

Alone, part one.

I've been thinking of my father-in-law.  I have, in the past, called him the most patient man in the world.  Not because of his family or his circumstances.  Nor was it a joke.  I watched him.  I wish I had his patience and I thank God for the man he is.  His daughter, my wife, has a lot of him in her.  He is 85 years old now.  He is pictured with our youngest daughter, Elizabeth- one of my favorite  family pictures, taken more than 20 years ago.  Thanks, Dad!

But what got me thinking about him was his life alone.  He has buried two wives and now lives alone.  The word 'alone' is a hard, ugly word.  Holy Scripture tells us that it is not good for man to be alone.  That's where we got Eve.  I know there are plenty of people who live alone.  I hope I will never be one left...and I know that makes me a big baby, and OK.

But, living alone is a part of many peoples' lives. Where it gets difficult is when our status changes.  Our children and grandchild shouldn't live our lives with us.  They aren't prepared, anymore than we were.  We have an opportunity to look properly at any circumstance, and see it as a teaching opportunity.  Our lives change...often and sometimes without warning.

Our lives are not our own the minute we find out we are to be parents.  Or the minute we marry.  We begin living together, factoring in the needs and desires of the other.  So much more the case when children come into the picture.  And while I love being near either of my grandsons, I live to show them the ways to live in this world before a living God.  I'll see.

There will be other posts re: being alone.  There's the whole matter of being alone after a divorce and telling the grandkids.  And there is more than that.

Teach the grandchildren to be loving even in a world that has forgotten.

-Grandpa George

No comments:

Post a Comment