Sunday, April 3, 2011

Different Spiritual Visions

It's Sunday, and the mind, my mind, turns to church.

And as I saw a picture of my grandson Miles after he played with a red ink pad (Grandpa laughing, "I love being a grandpa!"), I thought about the different spiritual vision you have from your child relating to them and your grandchildren.

In a perfect world, you did exactly what your parents and grandparents told you to do...right?  Why think that it's different for you and your children and grandchildren?

Some simple things you (and I) need to do.  My grandsons were both baptized, so I can talk to them, as they grow, about that day.  I have Baptist friends who disagree, but the covenant is for me and my family (and thy house - Acts 16:31).  I know they are part of my family, and of God's as well.  I had to honor of baptizing one (Miles), and attending C.J.'s baptism.  I will remind them of those important days.

Second, pray each day for your children and grandchildren.  It was easier before the kids left the house and out and on their own.  Grandchildren should change your spiritual concern.  Pray for them each day...by name.  Ask them to pray at meals, or show them by praying and asking God's blessing on the food.  Talk about why we pray.  Send a card to them to say I am praying for you.

Buy and send a Bible, and a Bible story book to them, and have one at your home.  Reading is so much better than turning on the DVD player.  It's a way for grandparent and grandchild to interact on things spiritual.

How do you teach a child to pray?  Did you teach your childrenSimple is the rule.  Yes, "God is great, God is good, and we thank Him for the food." is simple and is a pray that reaches God's ears.  We need to be purposeful to reminding our grandchildren of the great love of God for THEM!

I know a grandma who takes her grandson to church with her, even though her son and daughter-in-law don't attend a church.  Why?  It is a normal life for God's children.  Not in the child's face, but to quietly living out a Christian life.

There is only so much you can do.  You aren't their parent, and even the parents can only do so much.  Trust in God's grace for your children and grandchildren.  Do you have other suggestions or helps?  Thanks in advance.

God will bless you by your efforts (Eph. 2:10).

1 comment:

  1. A sweet article, George. Well,it should be as it is about sweet grandchildren. They are surely "precious in his sight" and in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete