Thursday, April 7, 2011

Learning from babies

There are few thing as wonderful as a baby, asleep in the arms of his or her mother.  And I speak as a father and grandfather.  While I loved holding my babies, and now grandbabies, Mom is home.


And there are a few things we learn by watching this child sleeping there.  First, total and complete trust.  Even Aunts and Uncles, Grandfathers or fathers don't share that.  We're OK.  But Mom is home.


We lose that sense of trusting early enough on.  I'm not suggesting we lose faith in our parents...or in trust.  That child is so at ease where he or she is as to rest completely.  Was your rest, say, last night, as total?


My wife works at a daycare, and in the afternoon, I arrive to take her home.  Almost every time, there is a 'care' on the children's eyes.  Some, though they have seen me a number of times before, burst into tears.  Now, I'm not a troll or monster.  I am tall and have a deep voice, but not a terror.  :-)


There's also the 'theology' of comfort.  You can see discomfort in the eyes if little children quickly and bluntly.  Even later, football players, when the camera looks their way, mouth "Hi Mom."  Why?  Mom is the very picture of comfort, and the sense of being at home.


The child, the baby know what we have forgotten.  As a grandfather, I am learning from my grandsons to make my voice and demeanor a place of comfort and total care.  Will that happen all the time?  Sadly, no.  My voice will get too loud, or maybe it's a bad day for the baby.  

But...I'm learning.

-Grandpa George

No comments:

Post a Comment